Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Once Again, A Trumpworld Grab-Bag

As has become my wont, when I have too many stories about the Trump Administration to make separate posts out of, I'm just throwing them together in what I'm calling a "grab-bag". It's like a little fistful of politics and intrigue for one's blog-perusing pleasure.

So, I'm not saying there looks like a problem here, but there might be something to idea that the Kushner/Bannon beef or some other irritation might wind up proving fatal to the Trump/Bannon relationship. Possible proof? This non-committal response regarding Trump's confidence in Steve Bannon:

“I like Steve, but you have to remember he was not involved in my campaign until very late,” Trump said. “I had already beaten all the senators and all the governors, and I didn’t know Steve. I’m my own strategist and it wasn’t like I was going to change strategies because I was facing crooked Hillary.”

That kind of diminishing language is what made Mike Flynn "a volunteer" and depicted Paul Manafort as having a "very limited role" in his campaign. It does rather sound like he's distancing himself from the guy.

In other news, you might recall that it looked like Rep. Devin Nunes had rushed to put his face in front of cameras with some information from White House staffers that he just had to brief the president on, without first sharing it with the rest of the House Intelligence Committee. This lead to Nunes having pretty well addled the credibility of the House Russian probe (or at least, his participation in it) and his decision to step aside from that probe to spend more time with his ethics complaints. Well, funny thing about that classified information--there doesn't seem to be a smoking gun there at all, according to other lawmakers who have now looked at it.

But for those of you who are interested in the Trump campaign "wiretap" story-line, we do have verification that Carter Page was subject to a FISA warrant. Of course, that does mean there was probable cause of wrongdoing--because judges do not seem to just approve those on sheer whim, and, as has been noted before, Page's contacts with Russian agents seems to have been varied and weird.

Make of it all what you will.

No comments:

TWGB: Cold Courtrooms and Old Farts

  You are supposed to pity Trump at this point, the miserable wretch that he is, made to sit by his enemies in a freezing cold courtroom mor...